6/18/18: Un año

 Elder Jensen and I Ballin outside Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago. 

Como andan todos!?

We had an awesome week here! It feels like just yesterday I was typing out an email; I swear the mission just keeps getting quicker and quicker. 

 1 year mark where I started the mission! (name on the sign) 

We had an awesome split on Tuesday! I got the privilege to go back to my old area in the other side of the Bronx, and it was so great. We got to visit a few people I had taught back when I first got into the mission which was super cool. We had a sweet miracle as well as we were going to look up a person who used to investigate the church. We were walking down the stairs and opened the door for this man who had a hat on that used some selective language 😂 He said thanks and then opened the next door for us, so we started talking a little bit. We got to the corner of the block and he asked us who we were and we began to explain to him what we do as missionaries. Come to find out, he is from Honduras! I asked him about Baleadas (pretty much quesadillas from Honduras) and he said "If you were selling something right now you'd have me bought!" I told him, "Well in fact we are selling something, but it's free!" He laughed and we offered to walk with him to the grocery store down the block. The whole way, he was asking us questions about our church and what made us different. As we got to the store we stood outside for 30 minutes and taught him the restoration. As we shared the experience of Joseph Smith and the restored gospel, he began to cry. That was super unexpected because this guy looked like he could crack some skulls. He told us he had woken up that morning and prayed to God for the first time and asked him to help him find a better job and more peace so that he could better support his family and raise his kids. We talked about how it wasn't a coincidence that we met him just a few hours after! It's so cool to see how perfectly God puts us in people's paths are we follow the spirit. 


Orlando our landlord from Olmstead! 

As I was studying this week, for some reason or another I focused a lot on the Book of Mormon. As I've been reading through Preach my gospel, the scriptures, and talking to my companion, I've found some pretty cool things that I want to share.

Mario estrada! 

 One thing that I saw was in 2 Nephi chapter 33, where it talks about these words being the words of christ. In verse 10 it says, "hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ." It's just common sense! If we believe that Jesus Christ truly is our savior, then we will believe in the words in the Book of Mormon because their soul purpose is to testify of the Redeemer and his restored gospel.

Mejia family! 

As I was pondering that passage in 2nd Nephi, I was thinking about how Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon really go hand in hand. The Book of Mormon talks about how we need to rely on Christ in verse 6 of that same chapter when it says, "I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for He hath redeemed my soul from hell." It's interesting to me how this verse comes BEFORE the verse about believing in the validity of the book. We first need to develop a relationship and living testimony of the Son of God. Then, we strengthen, fortify, and build that testimony by reading more about him and his teachings that he has given us through his prophets and mortal ministry both in the Bible and in the Book of Mormon.

Baptism in Concourse ward! 

I came to know the Book of Mormon is the most correct book on the earth today, and that knowledge has changed my life forever. It was translated by the power of God, and written by ancient prophets for our day. As we live and abide by the precepts found within it's pages, our lives will be easier. We will be guided by the Spirit, "it will be given unto us what we shall do." I love you all so much and hope you have an awesome week. Remember to turn to the Savior and put Him in between all decisions you make in life! :) 


Elder Adam Ray Allen
New York New York North Mission
700 White Plains Rd Ste 315 Scarsdale, NY 10583

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: 3 Weeks Down!

Week 2: Segundo Semana!

6/11/18: Agradecido