9/17/18: Bye bye Bronx ✌🏼





Good morning! 

Yes, I'm leaving the Bronx! Unfortunately :( I've spent all of my mission so far strictly in the city and it's been the best, but it looks like I'm headed out to drive a car! I'll be in Brentwood, in the middle of Long Island! Elder Serna will be my companion, and he's from mexico! Super hyped about that. My trainee Elder Cuevas will be in my zone as well, so i will be able to go on a split with him in a few weeks.


I was on a split with my boy Elder Palmer this week, and we had a pretty dope miracle happen. We had gone into this building to knock a few doors, and the first one we knocked, this big guy opens up and freaks out that the "Mormons" are knocking at his place. He said to come back at 5, so we did. We sat at his door with him for 30 minutes while he told us his life story and how he doesn't like any of his neighbors because they're way to ghetto. He kept going off about how he has no african american friends while he is african american. He pretty much just went off about that for 30 minutes and told us about how he used to work as a driver for big rappers and lost tons of respect for them and now that he realizes what life is really about it's like everyone doesn't agree with him. He told us he wants to take us out to dinner though and figure out what we do as volunteers for our church so count me in for that one! 



This week I was studying a talk by Marvin J Ashton (again) called, Who's losing? It talks a lot about how our attitude in life really determines our outcome. He says, 

"All of us, young and old, will do well to realize that attitude is more important than the score. Desire is more important than the score.  Momentum is more important than the score. The direction in which we are moving is more important than position or place."
He then describes that confidence is key in affecting this attitude that we need to have. Confidence is different than pride though! 

"egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." 

I believe our attitude going into each and every day affects the outcome of that day. It's of eternal importance that we recognize where we are on the path of discipleship, and as Elder Ashton said, 

"We maybe behind, but we are not losing if we are moving in the   right direction."   

Hope you all have a great week! 


Elder Adam Ray Allen
New York City Mission 
700 White Plains Rd Ste 315 Scarsdale, NY 10583




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: 3 Weeks Down!

Week 2: Segundo Semana!

6/11/18: Agradecido